Dr. Ivan Georgiev, DDS
Ivan Georgiev, DDS
Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon
Although it is one of the most winding paths imaginable, being born and raised in Bulgaria and moving to the U.S. at the age of 10 made Dr. Ivan Georgiev into the professional he is today. After arriving in the U.S., his family moved six times in the first four years. He has lived on both coasts and along the way been exposed to a variety of people and cultures and made many friends.
Ultimately, his love for surgery is what drove Dr. Ivan Georgiev to become an oral surgeon.
- Undergraduate Degree, University of Connecticut (in three and a half years), Double Major in Molecular & Cell biology and in Physiology & Neurobiology, along with a Minor in Business.
- Master of Science in Biotechnology, Columbia University (in one and a half years)
- Doctor of Dental Medicine (DMD), University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey (now integrated into Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences)
- Residency to Specialize in Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, St. Joseph’s Regional Medical Center
AWARDS AND ACCOMPLISHMENTS
- Stanley S. Bergen, Jr., MD Medal of Excellence
- Omicron Kappa Upsilon – Omega Omega Chapter (National Dental Honor Society)
- Alpha Epsilon Lambda – Alpha Chi Chapter (Graduate Students Honor Society)
- American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons – exemplary accomplishments in the field of oral and maxillofacial surgery
- Edward J. Ill Excellence in Medicine Award
- Abdol H. Islami, MD Foundation Scholarship
- Edward Wolfson Endowed Scholarship
- Outstanding Leadership and Dedicated Service Award
- Olympic torchbearer for the 2002 Winter Olympics
- Inaugural keynote speaker for the first class of the Rutgers School of Dental Medicine and keynote speaker at the 2015 white coat ceremony.
- MDAdvisor Journal – Advised the publishing staff and editorial board on topics, themes, and invited papers that addressed the future of medicine and issues affecting new physicians and health care leaders.
- Smile Bangladesh – Surgical team member performing reparative surgeries for people with a cleft lip and palate during mission trips to Bangladesh and Sri Lanka.
Other achievements aside, taking care of our patients is what Dr. Georgiev enjoys most about his work. He loves interacting with them and making them laugh. His sense of humor is what he believes they enjoy most about his care.
Dr. Georgiev likes spending his free time with his family and friends, playing soccer, visiting new places, reading a good book, and sometimes just relaxing.